Thursday, March 1, 2012

Post #3
My confidence as a writer has grown with the passing of time. As a youth I was frequently complimented on my writing, yet, there still remained in me a lack of confidence. I often found myself expressing thoughts and feelings through a variety of medium including journal writing, rough sketches and wood working. While I rarely felt my work was of a superior nature, I continued to write, draw and carve throughout middle and high school. Expression for me today largely consists of personal entries, not necessarily in a formal journal, but on scraps of paper likely to be discarded. It is on these scraps that I find an outlet for the inner workings of my mind and emotions. I believe the enjoyment I reap from such an activity can be recreated, to a small degree, within the classroom by giving students the independence to choose their topic of interest.
The most gratifying writing assignments I experienced in my secondary education were those where I chose the topic. I remember specifically a research paper in which I was allowed to argue whether the existence of Camelot was fiction or fact. The enjoyment I found in completing that paper was due largely to the subject which was something that interested me at the time. On the other end of the spectrum I have often felt the drudgery of completing a paper whose subject was not of interest. As I prepare to enter the field of education I understand that not all writing assignment topics can be left to student choice. That being the case, I feel students will feel the same type of empowerment by giving them as many options as possible. By letting them choose the perspective, voice and manner of presentation, I feel my students will reap a greater amount of enjoyment while still engaging the disciplines material.
 

2 comments:

  1. I like that you included wood working as a medium for expressing yourself. I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. I also like that you addressed the fact that not every assignment is going to spark a students interest, but that it is a worthy effort to make them have a say in what they are researching and learning about. It really does help them to have a say. I observed an end of trimester project where students presented on a topic that they chose and then had the opportunity to read a fiction or nonfiction novel to go along with the research. They were all really interested and felt strongly about what they were speaking on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you raise an important point--you may not give students free-range choices in what they write ALL of the time, but you can give them at least some choices of what they write MOST of the time. I like how you think of giving them choices in regards to genre and format. That's a great way to encourage variety even when students are all writing on the same topic.

    Very neat that you carve wood--I didn't know that. I think that also raises an important point that students have different outlets, and that you can assess through other mediums as well. Even photo essays could be a powerful method of assessment in history, depending on the topic.

    ReplyDelete