Tuesday, January 10, 2012

First Entry

As per introductions, my name is Rob Erickson. I am currently a Senior attending Utah State University and am majoring in History and Social Studies. Most of my free time is spent with my wife and two little kids these days but, when the time presents itself, I very much enjoy tinkering on old cars and motorcycles. I've been going to school in Logan for a considerable amount of time but I'm originally from Western Wyoming. Growing up I worked with my father, brothers, uncle and various cousins in the timber industry. I fell fairly lucky considering I got to spend more time with my dad than a lot of kids, he's still my greatest mentor.
To me, history is a joy. Many of the worlds most interesting people reside now only in the past. To be able to reach back and interact with those people is amazing. To me, all the other social sciences aided in crafting the fabric of history. By teaching Social Studies I will have the opportunity to engage in historical work with others. In the business of history, literacy is everything. Without the ability to engage various material in a critical and objective way, one does not engage in historical work. I believe literacy to be more than mere comprehension of a written language. I very much subscribe to the philosophy of Paulo Freire in that literacy should empower the individual.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had two kids--that's neat. I think that a career in teaching can enhance your parenting as well because you are that much more well-equipped to support your kids in their education.

    Your description of Wyoming sounds idyllic. It reminds me of some agriculture majors I had last semester, actually. I think history sort of encompasses agriculture because you get to learn about policies and people like Rachel Carson who have made an impact on our environment.

    Thanks for your posting! I am looking forward to working with you this semester.

    ReplyDelete